I just love making new decorations for my Christmas tree each year. These Lettered Wood Slice Ornaments are simple to make with your Cricut or other die cutting machine. SVG file is included!
Welcome back to year 6 of our Festive Christmas Event where we team up with a bunch of talented blogging friends to bring you a plethora of creative ways to celebrate your holiday season.
We will be baking some cookie recipes for you, sharing some party games, making some handmade gifts, doing some ornament crafting, and sharing our Christmas movies family fun. There will be breakfast recipes and as always our decorated Christmas Trees which is always a fun tour of homes.
New this year is Gift Guides. We are right there with you shopping from home due to Covid 19 and we understand how hard that can be so we have been busy little Elves doing tons of research to create fabulous Gift Guides to help you with your holiday shopping.
You will find new ideas every Monday and Wednesday between Oct. 19th through Nov. 18th. Scroll all the way down to find all the ideas linked at the end.
Lettered Wood Slice Ornaments with Cricut
I love the chalkboard look of these wood slice ornaments. The rustic look is in again this year and this goes perfectly with it.
We’re doing an overall buffalo plaid with natural accents theme for Christmas and I can’t wait to add these ornaments to our tree. It’s going to be a great touch for that decor.
- Set of 3 birch wood slices, 2.25” diameter x ⅜” thick
- Crafter’s Acrylic paint in black
- Cricut Joy
- Smart Vinyl, Permanent in white
- Holiday SVG file
- Cricut transfer tape
- Decorative ribbon, ⅛” wide
- Hot glue gun and clear glue sticks (not shown)
- Gather supplies.
Painting the Wood Slices
- Paint both sides of the wood slices in black.
- Ensure paint dries fully before proceeding.
Uploading the SVG Pattern
- Upload the Holiday SVG File into Design Space.
- With the image highlighted, click on “Ungroup” to separate the images.
- Adjust phrase (and image) sizes to fit your wood slices accordingly or maintain size (2” wide) as provided.
- Highlight one phrase at a time and click on “Attach”. Highlight each individual set of images (for example, the 3 stars) and click on “Attach”.
Cutting the Vinyl
- Ensure the machine is set to Cricut Joy and select “Make It” in Design Space.
- Choose “Without Mat” as the option for cutting when using Smart Vinyl.
- Set material type to Smart Vinyl.
- Follow prompts for loading the mat into the Cricut Joy and cutting the Smart Vinyl. When prompted, unload the vinyl from the cutting machine.
Applying the Vinyl to the Wood Slices
- Cut around each word and image with a pair of scissors.
- Using the weeding tool, peel away the excess vinyl and discard.
- Cut a piece of transfer tape a bit larger than the size of the phrase or image.
- Peel away the transfer tape backing and place the transfer tape overtop of the cut image. Gently rub the vinyl to help it stick to the transfer tape.
- Peel away the vinyl backing and place the image on to the one side of the wood slice. Gently rub the vinyl to help it stick to the wood slice. You can use a Cricut scraper tool for this.
- Carefully and slowly peel away the transfer tape.
- Repeat steps 12-17 for the other wood slices.
Assembling the Ornaments
- Cut three pieces of twine 9” long. Insert the end of the twine through the hole at the top of the wood slice and tie ends together.
- Cut three pieces of decorative ribbon 6” long. Tie each ribbon into a small bow.
- With a hot glue gun, glue the bow near the top of the ornament.
Be sure to check out more DIY Christmas ornament ideas from my bloggy friends below:
How to Make Animal Crossing Balloon Present Ornaments My Pinterventures
Easy Painted Wood Slice Ornaments In Bright Colors Intelligent Domestications
Christmas Lights Scavenger Hunt As For Me and My Homestead
Wood Burned Ornaments The Aspiring Home
Snow Globe Ornaments From Recycled Ice Cream Lids! Little Vintage Cottage
Minion Ornaments Coffee With Us 3
Crystal DIY Christmas Ornaments From House To Home
DIY Pour Painted Christmas Ornaments Blogghetti
DIY Christmas Tree Ornament: Easy Decoupage Craft An Alli Event
Organza DIY Embroidery Hoop Ornaments Interior Frugalista
Disney Holiday Cookie Ornament Craft Simply Inspired Meals
Glittery DIY Candy Ornaments with Your Cricut Craft Rocker
DIY Starfish Ornaments for a Coastal Tree Across The Blvd.
Clothespin Snowflake Ornaments Polka Dot Poplars
Farmhouse DIY Christmas Tree Ornament Pretty DIY Home
Lightweight Bauble Ornament Eye Love Knots
Woodland Ornament DIY Christmas Tree Lane
Simple DIY Leather Christmas Ornaments Domestically Creative
Light Up Christmas Lantern Ornament Purple Hues and Me
DIY Wood Slice Christmas Ornaments Mom Home Guide
Lettered Wood Slice Ornaments Creative Cynchronicity
Swedish Paper Heart Ornament Tikkido
Personalizing Ornaments with a Cricut Domestic Deadline
How To Make One-of-a-Kind Snowman Ornaments My Humble Home and GardenDIY Wood Slice Ornaments Farm Girl Reformed How to Make Super Simple and Sparkly Christmas Ornament Our Sutton Place