I just love making new decorations for my Christmas tree each year. These Lettered Wood Slice Ornaments are simple to make with your Cricut or other die cutting machine. SVG file is included!
Lettered Wood Slice Ornaments with Cricut
I love the chalkboard look of these wood slice ornaments. The rustic look is in again this year and this goes perfectly with it.
We’re doing an overall buffalo plaid with natural accents theme for Christmas and I can’t wait to add these ornaments to our tree. It’s going to be a great touch for that decor.
- Set of 3 birch wood slices, 2.25” diameter x ⅜” thick
- Crafter’s Acrylic paint in black
- Cricut Joy
- Smart Vinyl, Permanent in white
- Holiday SVG file
- Cricut transfer tape
- Decorative ribbon, ⅛” wide
- Hot glue gun and clear glue sticks (not shown)
- Gather supplies.
Painting the Wood Slices
- Paint both sides of the wood slices in black.
- Ensure paint dries fully before proceeding.
Uploading the SVG Pattern
- Upload the Holiday SVG File into Design Space.
- With the image highlighted, click on “Ungroup” to separate the images.
- Adjust phrase (and image) sizes to fit your wood slices accordingly or maintain size (2” wide) as provided.
- Highlight one phrase at a time and click on “Attach”. Highlight each individual set of images (for example, the 3 stars) and click on “Attach”.
Cutting the Vinyl
- Ensure the machine is set to Cricut Joy and select “Make It” in Design Space.
- Choose “Without Mat” as the option for cutting when using Smart Vinyl.
- Set material type to Smart Vinyl.
- Follow prompts for loading the mat into the Cricut Joy and cutting the Smart Vinyl. When prompted, unload the vinyl from the cutting machine.
Applying the Vinyl to the Wood Slices
- Cut around each word and image with a pair of scissors.
- Using the weeding tool, peel away the excess vinyl and discard.
- Cut a piece of transfer tape a bit larger than the size of the phrase or image.
- Peel away the transfer tape backing and place the transfer tape overtop of the cut image. Gently rub the vinyl to help it stick to the transfer tape.
- Peel away the vinyl backing and place the image on to the one side of the wood slice. Gently rub the vinyl to help it stick to the wood slice. You can use a Cricut scraper tool for this.
- Carefully and slowly peel away the transfer tape.
- Repeat steps 12-17 for the other wood slices.
Assembling the Ornaments
- Cut three pieces of twine 9” long. Insert the end of the twine through the hole at the top of the wood slice and tie ends together.
- Cut three pieces of decorative ribbon 6” long. Tie each ribbon into a small bow.
- With a hot glue gun, glue the bow near the top of the ornament.