Technically, summer doesn’t end for another three weeks but Labour Day weekend has always felt like the last big hurrah to me. If you’re like me, you’ve had a ton of fun and created a lot of summer memories and while it’s always so wonderful to be able to look back on those days fondly, it’s also somewhat bittersweet. So what can you do to help preserve those memories and wrap up your summer in a fun way?
Here are 5 ways to make the most of the last weekend of summer:
1) Using photos and pictures from travel brochures or magazines, make a collage as a family that will remind you of your summer activities. Hang it up where everyone can enjoy it! OR make smaller collages, cover them with clear Contact paper or get them laminated and use them as placemats.
2) Make a memory jar. Fill a mason jar or large clear vase with items collected this summer. Put in a few of your favourite photos, sand from the beach, seashells, stones, driftwood, sea glass, small souvenirs and trinkets, and so on. I’ve also seen this done using a clear divided box – the type you might use for putting tackle in or to sort out your sewing supplies or keep your embroidery floss or beads organized.
3) Cut poster board into postcard sized pieces. Have each member of the family draw a picture of their favourite summer events or activities on the cards. Mail them to family and friends to share your special summer memories with others.
4) Start a family summer journal. Have each member write and draw in it – you can even glue items in it like a scrapbook, adding to it year after year.
5) Start your summer bucket list for next year. What did you do this year that you’d like to do again? What didn’t make it into your schedule that you want to be sure to do next year? What new ideas do you have?
One last bonus idea:
Kinder® Canada has a new photo strip app called Smile Booth– why not use it to put together some photo strips of your family’s favourite summer moments? These would be great to tape inside school lunchboxes, hang in school lockers, place on desks at work, and so much more! Here’s how you do it:
Step 1: Fan KINDER® on Facebook
Step 2: Start your photo-strip
Step 3: Upload your photos
Step 4: Choose a fancy KINDER® frame
Step 5: Choose a filter (you can make yourself look silly)
Step 6: Save & share
If you add #kindersmiles to any photo strip, you will be able to see your smile in the app’s gallery view.
So what are you and your family doing to make the most of this last summer weekend? How are you preserving your precious summer memories?