Disclosure: This post on How to Spring Clean Your Patio contains affiliate links.
I just love spring! I can’t wait for barbecuing in the backyard and beautiful mornings enjoying a cold brew coffee on the patio. The trouble is, that after a long fall, winter, and early spring, the patio is probably not so relaxing right now.
In fact, it may be covered in leaves and other debris, the lawn furniture may need some freshening up, and it may just look downright drab out there.
There is no time like the present to get started on cleaning up your patio and getting it ready for spring and summer.
How to Spring Clean Your Patio
Organize Your Supplies
There are a few things that you will need in order to clean your patio and restore it to that beautiful backyard oasis you have come to know and love. Organize your materials prior to even going out there. Making sure that you are prepared is a good way to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
What You Need:
- Push broom
- Stiff brush
- Dish soap
- Power washer (optional)
Sweep it Up
Giving the patio a good sweep is the perfect place to start. Removing the debris will make it easier to scrub without setting in stains or creating mud.
- Move all the furniture from your patio and place it away from your work area.
- Remove any weeds that may have sprung up between stones, cement, or wood.
- Give the patio surface a detailed sweep, making sure to remove any loose materials and debris in your way.
Scrub it Down
Once your patio is clear from all debris and loose material, you can start scrubbing. If you have a power washer, you can easily use that to rise the entire area, if you prefer to use elbow grease that will work too.
- Use a stiff brush to scrub off any tough, stuck-on dirt, and then wipe clean with soapy water and a sponge.
- Using your garden hose, rinse your patio off and allow to dry.
Focus on the Furniture
While you are waiting for the surface of your patio to dry, turn your focus onto the patio furniture. Before you put it back on your patio, you will want to ensure that it too, gets a good scrubbing.
- Remove any cushions that may be on your furniture. If you store the cushions over winter in another location, it is time to bring them out and give them a wipe down with a sponge and soapy water. If your cushions are machine washable, now is the best time to put them in the laundry.
- Wipe down the frames of your furniture, using soapy water and a sponge.
- Wipe down tabletops using either soapy water or glass cleaner, depending on the surface. Don’t forget to get underneath tables as they can get rather grimy.
· Rinse all furniture off with your garden hose and allow to dry.
Don’t Forget the Barbecue
Now is as good a time as any to ensure that your barbecue is prepared for summer too. After all, once your patio is clean and ready, it will be time to have a cookout. I’ve got more tips for cleaning your BBQ here.
25Ft G40 Globe String Lights with Clear Bulbs,UL listed Backyard Patio Lights,Hanging Indoor/Outdoor String Lights for Bistro Pergola Deckyard Tents Market Cafe Gazebo Porch Letters Party Decor, BlackGoplus 4 PC Rattan Patio Furniture Set Garden Lawn Sofa Cushioned Seat Wicker Sofa (Black)Fire Sense 46,000 BTU Commercial Patio Heater, Mocha and Stainless Steel4-Pack Solar-powered Mason Jar Lights (Mason Jar & Handle Included),10 Bulbs Warn White Jar Hanging Light,Garden Outdoor Solar Lanterns,Hanging Lantern,Decor Solar Light,Table Light,Patio Path LightBug Zapper,Electric Indoor Mosquito Zapper Fly Trap,Insect Killer with 120V UV Light Bulb,360°Coverage Fly Zapper Mosquito Trap for Patio Bug Light and Garden,Yard,Office,Kitchen,Restaurant[UPGRADED]Topeakmart 10 Pack Metal Iron Flower Pot Vase Wall Fence Hanging Balcony Garden Patio Planter Home DecorSolar Mosaic Table Lights Kinna 2 Pack Solar Glass Ball Table Lamp Waterproof for Home, Garden, Patio Decoration Warm WhiteLong Wind Chimes Outdoor, UPGRADED 36” Wind Chimes Amazing Grace with 18 Aluminum Alloy Tubes Large Wind Chimes with Free 2 Pack Hooks, Perfect Decoration for Patio, Balcony and Indoor (Golden)Suncrown Outdoor 3-Piece Rocking Wicker Bistro Set: Black Wicker Furniture – Two Chairs with Glass Coffee Table (White Cushion)Best Choice Products 10ft Offset Hanging Outdoor Market Patio Umbrella – BeigeWine Bottle Wind Chime – Garden Decor – Gift for Mom – Outdoor Decor – Patio Decor – Gifts for Her – Wine Decor – Wine Bottlechime – GardenDecoArt DASK276 Patio Paint Sample Pack
Everything in Its Place
Once everything has had time to dry, you can start putting things back on the patio. Arrange furniture the way that you feel best suits your surroundings. It is also a fantastic idea to add little touches of color with plants, some beautiful candles, or even a few extra cushions.
Now your patio is ready for fun and relaxation! Hmmm, maybe I need to buy a hammock.