Oh the weather outside is frightful…..brrrrrr! We have had a pretty mild winter all things said, but when we do have those cold snowy days, they really send a chill through my body. All I can think of is getting inside and making some hot chocolate to warm myself up!
These Quick and Easy Hot Chocolate recipes are simple to make, but give you a little variety when it comes to your warm and soothing mug of hot cocoa. You don’t even have to wait until you’re coming inside from a cold winter’s day. Serve yourself a cup of one of these hot chocolate recipes anytime!
Winters in Montreal were cold. I’ll never forget the first big snowstorm after we moved there. My dad opened up the front door that morning and all we could see was a wall of snow. We were dumped on with several a couple feet of snow (yep, feet not inches) and then with the winds, the snow drifts were higher than our front door.
My dad quickly learned to keep a shovel in the house so we could get back out again! Of course, I was a little girl and to me, all that snow meant one thing. SNOW DAY! It was like the battle cry of my childhood. As soon as we could make our way out, I’d go running out to play with my friends.
Well, perhaps running is an exaggeration. Waddling is more like it. Between the long underwear, heavy sweatpants, snowsuit, multiple layers of socks, t-shirt, pullover sweater, and cardigan (not to mention layers of gloves and mittens, earmuffs and hats, and several scarves), it was a minor miracle that I could move at all.
Yet somehow my fellow Michelin tire man friends and I found a way. Soon, each of our front yards were adorned with families of snow people and abandoned igloos (it is HARD work to build an igloo that actually holds up!). We built snow forts and had massive snowball fights.
We threw ourselves down into the snow and flapped our arms and legs back and forth making snow angels. And of course, we grabbed our toboggans, headed for the nearest hill, and went careening down over and over again.
Then came that moment. It seemed to hit out of the blue. Eyelashes frozen with tiny little icicles, making it difficult to breathe. Nose hairs frozen, making each successive breath burn an icy heat. Fingers and toes numb, we shivered and headed back to our homes.
Waiting there at the door (how did she always know I was on my way???), my mom would greet me with a steaming mug of hot chocolate, filled to the brim with marshmallows.
She’d help me out of my frozen outerwear and tuck me under some blankets on the couch, to sip and savour the cocoa while I warmed up. Ahhhhh. Even now, the thought of hot chocolate makes me feel all warm and cozy and gushy inside.
Quick and Easy Hot Chocolate Recipes to Make You Feel All Warm and Cozy and Gushy Inside:
Make this white hot cocoa mix and keep it on hand for a delicious treat anytime!
If you want to give some hot chocolate as a gift, this melted snowman hot cocoa in a jar is perfect!
Check out these yummy hot chocolate recipes I’ve rounded up from some of my favorite bloggers:
- Butterscotch Whiskey Hot Chocolate from spicysouthernkitchen.com
- Copycat Starbucks Hot Chocolate Recipe from myfrugaladventures.com
- Slow Cooker Cranberry White Hot Chocolate (crockpot) from thereciperebel.com
- French Press Breakfast Chocolate from theviewfromgreatisland.com
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate from number-2-pencil.com
- Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe from julieblanner.com
- Slow Cooker Spiced White Hot Chocolate from momontimeout.com
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix from glutenfreeonashoestring.com
- Boozy Frozen Hot Chocolate from sugarandcloth.com
- Pink Velvet Hot Chocolate from sugarandsoul.co
- Frozen Salted Caramel Mocha Hot Chocolate from insidebrucrewlife.com
- Creme Brulee White Hot Chocolate from sugarhero.com
- Peanut Butter Frozen Hot Chocolate from chocolatemoosey.com
- Polar Bear Hot Chocolate from momendeavors.com
- 6-ingredient Immunity Boosting Hot Cocoa from honestlynourished.com
- 42-calorie Almond Milk Hot Chocolate from veggie-quest.com
- Slow Cooker Triple Hot Chocolate from countrysidecravings.com
- Raspberry White Hot Cocoa from dessertfortwo.com
- Spiked Vanilla Cinnamon Hot Chocolate from celebratingsweets.com
- Easy, Homemade, Vegan “haute” Chocolate from 24carrotkitchen.com
Want to set up a hot chocolate bar in your home? I’ve got some free hot cocoa bar printables for you!
My tastes in hot chocolate may have expanded since then, but the feeling is still the same. Which one of these hot chocolate recipes will you try first?
Nancy at Whispered Inspirations says
Mmm, so delicious! Totally bookmarking this for the winter. My girls will be happy!
We are in the middle of a big snowstorm, so we need hot chocolate! I agree it tastes even better when you have been out in the cold.