It’s apple season! I love apples pretty much every way possible but for my daughter, she gets pretty excited at this time of year when the candy apples begin to make an appearance. For a different take on candy apples – one that the kids can safely participate in making – check out these candy apple monster faces. They’re simple and quick to make.
How To Make Candy Apple Monster Faces
- 6 craft sticks
- 6 medium apples
- 1 tub of vanilla ready to spread frosting (or make your own)
- Food coloring (colors of your choice)
- Candies of your choice
- Wax paper or freezer paper
1. Place some pieces of wax or freezer paper down so that you can put the coated apples on them. Poke a craft stick into each apple.
2. Take off the lid and the foil from the can of frosting. Put the can in your microwave on high for about 30 to 45 seconds. You want it to be smooth and thinned down enough to stir easily. I poured the frosting into a couple of bowls to make it easier to use but also so I could create more than one color. Add in a few drops of food coloring and give the frosting a good stir until well blended.
3. Spoon frosting over the apple, holding it over a bowl to catch the drips. If it thickens up a bit while you’re working, put the frosting back in the microwave for 10 seconds or so.
4. Put the coated apples onto the pieces of wax paper and start adding your candy to form faces.
This is a great idea! It’s not easy for kids to eat candy or caramel apples so a friendlier option is always nice to know of.