Updated for 2018
I just love Canada Day! Maybe it’s because my very first Canada Day was Canada’s 100th birthday and was spent at Expo ‘67. I tell you – that was one thrilling experience! Of course, I’ve loved every Canada Day since then too. I feel privileged to be able to call Canada my home and I get a bit sentimental when its birthday rolls around.
As always, Harris Park is where the largest of the Canada Day celebrations in London will be taking place. This is a family friendly event that gets started at 11 am and goes right through 11 pm. It includes food and beverage vendors, live entertainment, a heritage corner, multicultural performances, free cupcakes, exhibitors, interactive games, a kids’ zone, beer garden, and of course, fireworks!
Open to All Ages. Free Admission. *Licensed beer gardens are 19+ only as of 8 pm.
Fireworks start at 10 PM, Bring a lawn chair.
Trackside Music Festival is back again in the Western Fair District for its third year with more top music talent for country fans. The country music festival will be hosted June 30-July 1, 2018.
Celebrate Canada’s birthday with Eldon House! Enjoy an old fashioned carnival on the grounds with historical games, and entertainment including a magic show, puppet show and acrobatics! Cake and lemonade served at 2:00 p.m. We acknowledge and thank Canadian Heritage as our sponsor for this event.
Schedule of Events include:
- 12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. – “ Punch and Judy” Puppet Show by Phil Arnold (West Lawn)
- 1:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. – “Carnival Magic Show” by The Amazing Corbin (Interpretive Centre)
- 2:00 p.m. Cake and Lemonade served
- Ongoing – Acrobatics by London Dance Festival
- Ongoing – Historical games, ice cream churning, and photo booth!
Grab your picnic blanket and don your Sunday best for Dominion Day celebrations at Fanshawe Pioneer Village! Celebrate the formation of the Dominion of Canada with old-time fun and games, horse-drawn wagon rides, and music by Schotts!
Cost – General Admission:
- $9.00 per Adult- tax included
- $7.00 per Child ages 4-16 -tax included
- Free for children age 3 and under
- BIG ON FUN FAMILY PASS provides admission all year long for one low price!
Free guided tour, 2-3 pm.
The Children’s Museum is celebrating Canada Day with FREE admission!
- The Children’s Museum will be celebrating Canada Day in both French and English.
- Go on a scavenger hunt throughout the Children’s Museum’s nine galleries and find stories of exceptional Canadians
- Celebrate Canada’s natural heritage with a collaborative outdoor art adventure
- Interact with unique Canadian artifacts from our collection, including a real Narwhal tusk, Inuit soapstone carvings and Canadian-made antique toys
- Hear stories about Canada’s constellations in our Star Lab
Join in as they celebrate Canada’s 151st Birthday in both official languages. Check whiteboards upon arrival.
Joe Edmonds Quintet: July 1st, 2018 2-4pm, Free
An alumnus of the famed Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra as their lead trombonist and a featured soloist, Joe continued to play trombone, sax, flute and bass in various bands in the USA … from Miami, to New York, to Los Angeles, and finally settling in Las Vegas for three years. As a performer, composer, and instructor, he has been an important figure in the development of music in London. Currently he is producing a fourth album of hard bop and smooth jazz inspired compositions to follow his earlier releases, Specially for You and Reflection, and Swingman. The new compositions were produced under guidance of Canadian music legend, Skip Prokop of Lighthouse.
Please note this is on Saturday, June 30.
We call our Canada Day event Summerside Celebrates Canada because it is held on Canada Day weekend, but not on Canada Day. Doing so has proven to be quite popular as it gives people the opportunity to turn Canada Day into a weekend long activity. It allows young families to stay close to home, and those who want to celebrate more than once to attend more than one event.
Our annual event has been drawing over 6,000 people every year now from the Summerside neighbourhood and surrounding areas and has been going on for 15+ years. It is seen by many as the event that kicks off the summer. Everything starts with the evening activities returning for the first time since 2015 from 5:00 to 9:00 that will include four inflatable bouncers. From 9:00 to 10:00 the activities be taken down while everyone settles in to take in the professional pyrotechnic fireworks display sponsored by Ironstone Building Company at 10:00. Before the show begins there will be some words from the community club thanking its supporters and all those involved followed by the playing of the national anthem.