Today I was playing around with some scraps of Lutradur. On these pieces, I applied acrylic paints, alcohol inks, stamped in a resist technique with gel medium and with paints, and used a blue Derwent Inktense pencil on it that I softened with water. These were cut into strips (using Fiskars mini scallop paper edging scissors which cut through the Lutradur like butt-ah!) so that I can roll them up and make them into beads.
On this piece, there were already some brown alcohol ink blobs on it. I need the beads for the bracelet I’m making (more about that later in the week) to be blue so I added some thick layers of blue paint and ink on top to camouflage it. I then coloured the background with plain old ordinary waterbased Crayola markers. I spritzed it with water and this made the Crayola marker coloured areas look like they had been painted in watercolours.
The look was much more translucent than on the piece done in paints, inks, and pencil. I didn’t end up cutting this piece up into strips for beads because it was suggested that the one part of it looks like a bird so I added some butterflies stamped in the bottom corner (using black Staz On ink) to balance it out.
Stay tuned to see how these pieces continue to develop.
Laura Wasilowski says
This is really cool!
And thanks for helping with the C&T web cast last night!