Are you familiar with Periscope? It’s a live streaming video app available for iPhone/iPad and Android. While the person is broadcasting, others can “chat” with them via text comments. I love it so much that the other day someone called me a “Periscope cheerleader” because I’m always talking about it.
Why am I such a Periscope fan? Well, in some very important ways, Periscope has changed my life. I know that sounds like an exaggeration, but it’s not. Here’s my list of what I like the most:
1) The sense of COMMUNITY. I used to feel this in the blogging community and still do to a degree, but many of the bloggers I first followed became so busy and their blogs became so large that it got more and more difficult to interact in the way they used to. You can connect with people in real time on Periscope. All of those “it doesn’t translate through print” issues disappear because you can hear tone of voice and if clarification is needed, it can happen right then and there. I find that I can get a much better sense of their personality through Periscope and make much more of a connection with them.
2) Although I love interacting live with the Periscopers, sometimes I catch them on the replay. When I do, often I’m able to listen to them as if they were a podcast (if they’re not demonstrating something that I actually need to watch) and this means I can put them on to listen to in the background while I do housework or while I’m driving (I put it where I can’t see it so I’m not tempted to look at it!). I have LEARNED so much from Periscope from new recipes to blogging and social media tips to craft techniques and so much more.
3) I have found MOTIVATION and INSPIRATION on Periscope. There are people who share motivational messages to get you pumped up in the morning or give you a boost during the mid-day slump. It’s amazing how hearing a few words of wisdom from someone else can give you the reminder that you need to face your day with energy and enthusiasm.
4) If you are a blogger or working in social media, Periscope can be instrumental in increasing your FOLLOWING. I have seen a quite a few people whose numbers on their blogs and other social media platforms are growing as a direct result of Periscope.
5) This is the one I was thinking of when I said that it is changing my life – God is using Periscope to reach me on my FAITH journey. I realize that some of you may not believe in God and so this may not be a “selling point” for Periscope in your eyes but that doesn’t mean it can’t reach you in whatever journey you are on too. I have found some broadcasters using Periscope as their ministry and it is really filling a void for me to be able to share fellowship with other believers. There are prayers, Bible studies, and worship celebrations you can join in on.
Here’s a list of my top ten favorite scopers at the moment: (in no particular order)
- Kristi Clover from Raising Clovers – Kristi is a Christian homeschooling mom of 5 who scopes every day Monday through Friday around 1 pm and 5 pm Eastern. She shares her faith, ideas for meal planning, Periscope tips, and talks about homeschooling, including giving us a look inside her homeschool classroom. Her joyful bubbly personality is infectious and encouraging and I never leave one of her scopes without a smile on my face.
- Summer Len Davis from Dirty Floor Diary – Summer has done scopes on a variety of topics but her most common and popular one is her Name Your Day scopes. These are motivational scopes presenting her take on how to focus your day and make it a great one! Summer’s positive outlook is inspiring and contagious. After one of her scopes you’ll feel ready to take on anything your day has to throw at you!
- Amiyrah Martin from 4 Hats and Frugal – Amiyrah has a smile and a laid back but passionate vibe that is very inviting to watch. During the summer, she was doing some really fun scopes about her “dollar store day camp” ideas – great simple and inexpensive ideas to keep the kids busy and productive during the summer break. She has also broadcasted ideas for frugal living, thrift store shopping, meal planning, and more. Her ideas for homeschooling and being a successful blogger are motivating and empowering.
- Tabitha Philen from Inspired Bloggers Network and Meet Penny – Tabitha is such a wealth of information. if you want to learn more about blogging and social media, you MUST check out her broadcasts. She covers it all and when I say covers it, I mean she COVERS it. She has so many helpful ideas and suggestions and my brain (and notebook) are always overflowing at the end of each one of her scopes.
- Brandi Riley from Mama Knows it All and Blog Strategy Report: Click here to visit Brandi Riley. <<affiliate link
– Brandi is one of the smartest people I know when it comes to blogging and making money. Every day Monday through Friday she does #TheBloggerInfluence show on Periscope. In this, she fills the viewers in on the latest news in the blogging world – conferences, networks, opportunities, blogger updates and more. Brandi has the scoop!
- Melodye Reynolds from Essential Healthy Life – Melodye is another really joyful energetic personality who makes me smile. She has done great scopes about homeschooling and essential oils but my favorites are her nightly prayers. Every evening Monday through Friday at 9:30 pm Eastern she goes live for a quick scope to pray over and give a blessing to the participants. It’s a really uplifting and comforting scope and a wonderful way to end your day.
- MacKenzie Monroe from Bold Turquoise – MacKenzie’s Cultivating the Lovely show every morning Monday through Friday at 9:30-10 am Eastern is a must have for starting my mornings on a happy note. MacKenzie is so warm and welcoming that she makes me feel like I’m sitting down, having a cup of tea with a dear friend. She sets three goals for each day – a little to do list for bringing more loveliness into life and encourages her viewers as they set theirs as well. In addition, she has a book club twice a week where her viewers read encouraging, uplifting books and share insights from them as a community.
- Crystal Paine from Money Saving Mom – I feel like Crystal just opens up her heart and shares it on Periscope and that makes for some really inspiring, motivational broadcasts. She has spoken about topics such as “You are enough just as you are” and “how to be a good friend” and each one has been golden.
- Katie Lance of KatieLance.com – Katie runs her own social media business and shares many many fantastic tips for making the most of social media on Periscope. I have learned so much from her and have gone away with tips that I can apply to my social media channels (and those of my clients) right away.
- Tina Milas of Zoo Cutie Prints – Tina is cute as a button and so full of great ideas! She shares ideas for recipes, crafts, getting organized, meal planning, and so much more. I love watching her scopes because she is a lot of fun and I always get fantastic suggestions that I can use in my own home.
Now, aren’t you inspired to at least have a look at Periscope and see what it can do for you and your day too? Let me know your favourites and if you broadcast on Periscope, be sure to let me know in the comments so I can follow you too!
I’m on Periscope as CynGagen – broadcasts coming soon!