March tends to be one of the lighter months when it comes to sales. You might still score some leftover Valentine candy or the last bits of winter clearance items, but it doesn’t tend to have quite as many deals as some other months. Still, there are some good sales to be found on somewhat specific items. If you’re in the market for those, you may find yourself scoring big in March. Here’s what to buy in March:
What to Buy in March:
- It’s National Frozen Food Month and as such, sales on this abound. I do like to stock up on a few things (frozen fruits for my smoothies, for example) but it’s important to keep freezer storage in mind. Summer is coming. (It is, I promise!) If you’re like me, you’ll be having far more fresh produce and not relying on frozen foods other than ice cream and popsicles as much.
- St. Patrick’s Day isn’t often associated with sales the way some other holidays are but it’s still possible to find a deal here and there. Some brands (like 6pm.com) have $17 sales on March 17th. Tim Hortons has been known to hand out free mint chocolate Timbits and IHOP has, in the past, offered discounts to anyone wearing green. (Do you have an IHOP near you? I am SO jealous if you do!) Keep your eyes open for more lucky deals.
- Spring/summer items such as gardening tools, golf clubs, and camping equipment are sometimes put on sale right around this time. Stores are trying to clear out old stock as the new stock comes in. You may also be able to score a bargain at some of the spring home shows going on at this time.
- Luggage! Right after March Break, luggage is often put on sale. This is the perfect time to stock up for your travels.
- With Christmas and Valentine’s Day over (and Mother’s Day not quite yet on the horizon), you might also find some bargains on perfume and jewelry.
- If you’re doing your own taxes, March is generally a good time to buy some tax software. Prices start dropping then and may go back up again as we get closer to tax deadlines. Grab it while you can!
- It’s National Craft Month! If you’re itching to stock up or try a new craft, most stores have specials galore when it comes to craft supplies. Don’t forget to stock up on some to hide away for the kids – you’ll be glad you did when you head out on your first summer road trip or hear that first cry of “I’m bored!!!”
- And of course, it’s also spring cleaning time. With that comes the sales on cleaning supplies.
- Cruises and other travel. If you’re trying to book last minute for March Break, well, you might just find yourself paying through the nose. (What the heck does that even mean???). But this can be a great time to book some future travel with discounts and extra free perks available on many trips.
- Understandably, December is the best time to save money on gift cards. March, however, comes in second. I’m guessing it’s because it’s kind of an off season. Christmas is over, Valentine’s Day is over, and Mother’s and Father’s Day are still off in the distance. Whatever it is, I often have good luck with gift card deals in March, in particular from Groupon (pay $5 and get a $10 Starbucks gift card – that kind of thing!).
So, are you planning any special purchases in March? You can bet that I’ll be headed to the craft store – there’s a reason this blog is called Creative Cynchronicity!
More ways to save money: