A few Saturdays ago, I had the house to myself. The peace and quiet was a welcome change. I had all kinds of ideas for it – maybe a Netflix binge, a new novel, a nap, some sewing? Suddenly, I was overwhelmed. I ended up working instead. It just somehow seemed easier.
I don’t remember hearing the term “self care” until after our car accident. I was on bed rest, trying to deal with the pain and hard work of recovery while maintaining my household and caring for my daughter. The pain management specialist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, and various doctors kept stressing the importance of self-care to me.
The accident did put some things in perspective for me. One of the most important lessons I learned was to stop over-complicating everything. I was the Pinterest mom before Pinterest even existed! I think that sometimes the same thing happens with self care. We know that we should do it but it becomes yet another major thing to add to our schedules.
Self care is meant to relieve stress, not add to it!
12 Simple Self Care Ideas
1. Make out a weekly meal plan. What??? How is this self-care Cyn? Trust me. Take 10 minutes to plan your meals for the week and you will eliminate that last minute “what’s for dinner” stress from your life. Or just use some of my WEEKLY MEAL PLANS.
2. Create a budget. Now you’re thinking I’m just plain crazy, aren’t you? But the peace of mind that comes from managing your money is truly one of the best forms of self care.
3. Sit down and read for pleasure for 10-15 minutes. A chapter of your current novel. An article or two in your favorite magazine. Browse a blog you love. Or just finish reading this post. 😉
4. Go outside and breathe. That’s all. Just take a few deep breaths.
5. Establish a morning routine. Or a bedtime routine. Simple routines can be comforting even when surrounded by stress.
6. Put on your favorite song and dance it out.
7. Listen to a book on Audible. You have to clean the bathroom anyway. Why not turn it into some me time while you’re at it? FREE ONE MONTH TRIAL ON AUDIBLE.
8. TRY MEDITATION. Don’t stress yourself out by trying to schedule in an hour for this – just give it a shot for 10 minutes. It’s a great way to regroup midday!
9. Stretch. Reach up overhead and then down towards the floor. Back up to a standing position. Gently move your head from side to side. Tilt your head as if trying to touch your ear to your shoulder. Repeat on the other side. Bend over at the waist to one side and then the other.
10. Put on some hand cream. Take a few minutes to really massage it into every part of your hands.
11. Drink some water. Dehydration (and if you feel thirsty, you are dehydrated!), mild though it may be, can make you feel sluggish. A glass of water can make you feel much more refreshed, body, mind, and spirit. I like mine ice cold with some lemon or cucumber added.
12. Forgive yourself. Whatever it is that you’re feeling guilty about today, just let it go. Instead of obsessing over what has already happened, look to the future with optimism.
See? It doesn’t have to take much time. What will you do for yourself today?