Ok y’all, ‘fess up. Who’s already on vacation or been on vacation this summer? It’s all right. I’ll try not to sigh too loudly or look too green with envy. My turn is coming in August but whew, these beautiful summer days have me longing for a getaway. Road tripping is one of my favourite things ever. I love to just pack up clothes, load up the cooler, and hop in the car and head out on the open road. Don’t get me wrong – plane travel is great but no matter where I’m going, if I drive there, I always find something new and exciting along the way that I wasn’t expecting.
July is the perfect time to take a family road trip – school’s out so the kids are up for an adventure! There are endless possibilities when it comes to the type of road trips you can take from a local destination, to one across the country.
Not sure where you want to go? Here are five great adventures to get your mind wandering and maybe inspire your next trip: Niagara Falls, Quebec City, Haliburton, and Tofino. Not sure what each has to offer? Read more below!
1. Tofino, British Columbia. Looking for something truly picturesque? Head to Canada’s surf capital – Tofino. Get your family on a ferry from Vancouver to Nanaimo and drive along the Pacific Rim Highway for a truly breathtaking view of mountains and lakes, along with rainforest. The area is also known for its trees, which grow in spectacular sizes. Some trees are believed to be 1000 years old. Can you believe I have never ever been to BC? It’s on my travel dreams bucket list that’s for sure!
2. Haliburton, Ontario. Truly the quintessential summer escape from the big city, you’ll practically feel the stress lifting as you start driving into cottage country. There are several scenic route options, dotted with great ice cream parlours along the way, which all lead to good times ahead. Whether you stay for the day or rent a cottage, you’ll want to make sure you stop at Webers in Orillia, a Canadian burger landmark since 1963.
3. Quebec City, Quebec. Whatever direction you’re coming in from, stop in a few francophone villages on your way into the old city to soak up the culture, food and French! Making your way through the beautiful and lush countryside, you’ll be thrilled to arrive at your final destination: old Quebec City, a city full of history, architecture, cobble stone streets and endless charm. My niece and her husband were just there for the first time and were so enchanted that they were daydreaming about living there.
4. Niagara Falls, Ontario. Ok, I know this might seem almost cliche but some friends and I were just discussing it the other day and all of us said the same thing – no matter how many times you see the falls, there is something so majestic and so awe-inspiring about them that you feel so thrilled every single time you see them. What is there to do beyond just experience the Falls? Of course there are tours to the falls and behind the falls but there is also the casino, indoor waterparks, Safari Niagara, and so much more family fun there.
5. Random Town, Your Province. So, here’s a fun idea I’ve always wanted to do. Get out a map (online or the old fashioned paper kind) and working with an area that is within an hour or two driving time from your home, close your eyes and randomly point at a place. If it’s someplace you’ve been to before, try again until you get a place that’s unfamiliar to you. After all, this is meant to be an adventure! Pack a picnic lunch OR take some money along to try out one of the local restaurants. Just wander around and explore – you never know what you might see on the way there and while checking out this “new to you” town.
Before you head out on a great adventure, make sure you’re well prepared, especially when kids are involved – we’re hoping for less “are we there yet?” and more “wow, this is amazing!” You’ll always want to pack things like a GPS system, snacks, sunscreen, and sun protection, first aid supplies and good music!
To get you ready for your family adventure this summer, here are some very practical products to put in your travel toolkit. And you have the chance to enter and win them for yourself. You’ll be all set for your next summer road trip!
The prize includes:
· GRAVOL™ Natural Source™ Ginger Lozenges – curb motion sickness for you and your kids (over the age of six) with these chewable lozenges – convenient, portable and no water required! GRAVOLTM Kids Quick Dissolve Chewables are a great option for your little ones two years and over! (GRAVOLTM Kids Quick Dissolve Chewables are not included in giveaway).
· OxiClean™ Foam Pretreat – spills and stains are bound to happen on road trips, treat them the day they happen and then throw the item in the wash a few days later when you make it to your destination!
· ORAJEL™ Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste 119g, in either Super Mario™ or The Ultimate Spider-ManTM or My Little Pony™ – with road trips come snacks and fast food so ensuring your little ones are brushing is of the upmost importance.
· Vitafusion™ Women’s and Men’s Complete Multivitamins – are geared towards providing essential nutrients specifically needed by men and women to maintain their health, in a tasty gummy that you can take without water, perfect for on-the-go!
Approximate retail value of the giveaway: $50 CDN
What is your favourite place is to road trip over in Canada? Let me know in the comments below.