The next in my installments of creations for the www.dollarstorecrafts.com Super Secret Stashbusting Challenge involves using these pretty pink felt doilies that were in the envelope. There was a heart shaped one that I used as part of the foundation for the heart made in honour of my Mom but these two were round ones. One reminded me of a snowflake while the other one had a pretty butterfly design in it. The felt they are made out of is thicker than the type I usually buy – about 3 times thicker, also making it a bit stiffer.
For both of these doilies I decided to use them as part of the embellishments on some wooden picture frames I had purchased some time ago at a Michaels sale. The first frame I painted a fuchsia colour using acrylic craft paints. I cut the doily into quarters and glued one into each corner of the frame using Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue.
I cut two birds out of an cereal box destined for the recycling bin and painted them with turquoise craft paint. I glued on the birds, one on each side of the frame opening, and finished the frame off with a pink wire flower at the top.
For the second frame, I began by painting it with a purple craft paint. I didn’t want to chop up the doily as much as I had with the first one on this frame. I felt it would lose much of the butterfly pattern in it so instead I simply cut it in half and glued one half on either side of the frame opening. I embellished the frame with three little flowers resembling roses at the top of the frame opening.
For the center flower, I used this pink felt I had on hand. I had purchased it several years ago at our local dollar store. It was labelled as felt at the store but it is quite a bit thicker than regular felt – thick enough that it’s sort of spongy when you press down on it. It’s also softer than regular felt – more like the texture of the softest fleece you have ever felt. To make the flower, I used a technique demonstrated on Cool2Craft interactive web TV by Tiffany Windsor. The flower was very simple to make and produces beautiful results.
For the other two flowers, I used some old pantyhose I had on hand. I cut it into strips and used one strip for each flower. I began by folding down a corner at one end of the strip to make a triangle shape and then I began turning this, wrapping the length around the little triangle end a few times to make the center of the flower. From there, I continued to wrap the length around the center, twisting the fabric as I wrapped and securing with Aleene’s No Sew Fabric Glue as I went.