Here are a few projects that I’ve created out of the items in my package from www.dollarstorecrafts.com ‘s Super Secret Stashbusting Challenge. The main material I’ve used in these are some of the fabric scraps that were included. There are two different types of a fleecy, felty kind of fabric. (Are you loving the precise description here?) Both of them are stripes in similar colour families, one just being a wider stripe than the other.
You can see the one fabric I used here to the left.
The other fabric is this one with the wider stripe in the lower right hand corner of this picture.
The first item I made is a coffee cuff – you know the kind that wraps around your coffee and I find helps to keep your coffee warmer a bit longer but even more so, protects your hands from that really hot coffee cup? I apologize that there doesn’t seem to be a picture here of the finished cuff. I thought sure I had taken some but I’m away from my camera (and the cuff) at the moment so once I get home I’ll update this post with it. I’m sure at least for now that you can get the idea though. I had some leftover cardboard cuffs from Starbucks sitting around my studio and simply used Aleene’s No Sew Fabric Glue to attach the fabric to the cardboard. I added some embellishments and trims to it to jazz it up a bit and voila, a pretty little reusable coffee cuff!
For the second creation, I had seen lots of these fabric brooches on various blogs where they had stacked layers of fabric shapes on top of each other to form flower or button like appearances. For mine, I cut out 3 circles of fabric, each one a different size. Once again I used the Aleene’s No Sew Fabric Glue to glue each circle on top of the other. I turned the circles so that some of the stripes were faced horizontally and some vertically to add a little visual interest. For the final embellishment, I put a button on top and then sewed it on, going through all the layers to secure the whole brooch. Put a pin back on the back of it and you have a pretty little accessory for an outfit.
For my final creation from this fabric, I cut some strips from both of the striped fabrics. The strips are about 1/4 inch wide but I didn’t measure. I just eyeballed it because I like the less precise look of them being a bit off from each other.
I balanced the striped fabrics from the package with some plain pink from my own stash. The plain pink is this really cool stuff I’ve had there in my stash for years. It was labelled as felt at our local dollar store, Dollarama but it’s not really like any felt I’ve ever purchased before. It’s about 3 times thicker than any felt I’ve seen before, so thick that it’s kind of spongy in fact. It’s incredibly soft – more like the softest fleece ever.
I used Aleene’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue to glue the ends of the coils down and then to glue each coil to another. I added one last coil in the center on top of the others to add more dimension to the piece. Now to turn this into a necklace!
I had some plain necklaces – just a cord with a lobster claw closure attached to it made to add your own pendants to– that I had bought from our dollar store. I wasn’t sure at first how I was going to attach the “pendant” I had made to the cord though. A basic jump ring seemed like it would be too small and I couldn’t really figure out a secure way to attach it. Then I remembered one of the items that had been included in my envelope of goodies. There was a pink gingham ribbon in there that was extremely stiff (in fact, too stiff for some of the uses you might normally have for ribbon). I rolled a piece of it into a tube, secured it with the glue, and then glued it to the back of the pendant. When it was dry, I was able to string the cord right through it and that was that!