1) What US president gave the first national Thanksgiving proclamation? George Washington
2) What is the average weight of the turkey served at Thanksgiving dinner? 15 lbs.
3) What US statesman first suggested the turkey as the official bird of the United States? Ben Franklin
4) How long did the first Thanksgiving last? 3 days
5) When was the first annual Thanksgiving Day parade? 1920
6) What US president first proclaimed the 4th Thursday of November as a national holiday for Thanksgiving? Abraham Lincoln
7) How many pounds was the largest known turkey? 86 lbs.
8) When is Canadian Thanksgiving? 2nd Monday in October (same time as Columbus Day)
9) Can turkeys fly? Wild ones – yes. Domesticated – no.
10) When and where was the first Thanksgiving? Most popular answer is 1621 in Plymouth, Massachusetts but some historians say that the earliest known one was in 1578 held by English navigator Martin Frobisher as a celebration of thanks for having survived the long journey to what is now Newfoundland, Canada.
11) As of 2005, what state was the leader in turkey production? (I’ll give you some choices on this one: Arkansas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York) Minnesota. Minnesota, North Carolina, Arkansas, Missouri, Virginia, and Indiana account for almost 2/3 of all turkeys raised in the US.
12) What Native American tribe celebrated the first Thanksgiving with the colonists? The Wampanoag tribe