If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun. – Katharine Hepburn
I’ve always been a bit of a rebel. Oh, I follow the laws of the land but some rules just seem so arbitrary to me and they certainly support the idea that rules are made to be broken. Nowadays there really are no rules when it comes to fashion – and this holds true with the tradition of not wearing white after Labour Day weekend. While nothing says summer like billowy white linens, this fashion staple is finding its place beyond the summer barbeque, pool party or cottage getaway.
For many, a concern when wearing white is keeping them white. From food to deodorant stains, wearing white can be asking for trouble. Winter can be such a messy time – all the salt and dirt from the ploughed roads ending up all over your clothing. Thankfully OxiClean™ White Revive™ Powder—fabric care winner of the 2015 Best New Product Awards—is specially formulated to maintain and revive your whites.
Here are a few tips on ways you can say goodbye to “no white after Labour Day” and incorporate white into your wardrobe this fall and even into winter!
Five ways to wear white after Labour Day
1. Mix and match – pair white statement pieces with neutral colours like grey or tan to tone down the summer vibe for a sophisticated fall look
2. Cool winter chic – stick to all white accessories like white cashmere gloves or a cable knit scarf to elevate your look as the months get colder
3. Say yes to the shearling – from boots to jackets to capes, shearling makes an appearance every fall. Incorporate a pop of white in your transitional wardrobe with shearling accents. Seriously, who doesn’t love shearling? It just makes me smile.
4. The not-so-blue jean – to balance out the summery feel of a pair of white denim jeans, pair with a distressed leather jacket in dark brown or a tan trench over coat for a more polished look
5. Not over overalls – the 90s staple is back with a vengeance! A perfect transitional piece as the days get cooler, mix a pair of white overalls with runners and your favourite dark cropped jacket for a cool urban fall look