I could pretty much exist on chicken salad but sometimes I do get a little tired of the same old, same old chicken salad sandwich. So, I try to mix things up a bit. Instead of a regular sandwich, I’ll do a wrap or pile it all onto a lettuce leaf and eat it that way. When I was approached about trying Thornhill Farms rice crackers and rice bites, it sounded like a product I would use as a healthy snack option. Once I saw the flavour selection though, I realized that they would be perfect for some light meals as well. The Lime & Black Pepper Baked Snack Cracker Thins especially seemed like a perfect fit for my spicy lime chicken salad.
- Leftover cooked chicken cut up (about one chicken breast)
- 1 T. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Mayo and plain yogurt or sour cream (amount varies according to your preference - some like a moister chicken salad than others)
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup corn kernels (if it's leftover grilled corn on the cob, even better - that grilled taste really adds a lovely touch)
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- Black pepper lime almonds (as many as you like)
- Salt and pepper if desired
- Simply combine all ingredients and serve with Thornhill Farms Lime and Black Pepper Baked Snack Crackers. Ingredients and their quantities can be varied according to preference or what you have on hand!
Now, of course, just because I’m showing them here being used as part of my light meal, doesn’t mean these don’t make great snacks too. Thornhill Farms Rice Bites and Snack Crackers are yummy on their own for a tasty treat or with your favourite dip (try the Black Pepper Lime with guacamole!). I really like the Sea Salt Cracker Thins with cheese, thin slices of lunchmeat, or slices of hardboiled eggs on them. My daughter enjoys them with tuna salad and we recommend the Applewood Smokey BBQ Flavour with sliced chicken or pulled pork on them. I’ve even put them into a snack mix with various cereals and nuts – fun for a party or lunchbox snack and a great way to use up last little bits of leftover products.
IF you’ve tried rice crackers before and weren’t impressed, I urge you to try Thornhill Farms. They have a lovely crunch to them (and hold that crunch – they seem to stay fresher much longer than other crackers I’ve tried) and are gluten free. The Thornhill Farms Rice Bites and Snack Cracker Thins come in a variety of delicious flavours including Sea Salt, Black Pepper and Lime, Applewood Smokey BBQ, Cheddar Cheese, and Sour Cream and Onion. They retail for around $3.49 and are available at the following locations:
Western Canada – London Drugs and natural food stores
Ontario – Bulk Barn and natural food stores
Quebec – Tao
The Maritimes – Sobeys
What will you eat your Thornhill Farms rice bites or cracker thins with?