It’s January and around my house that means two things – a) It’s winter and my skin and hair are look dull and dry and b) we’re passing around colds and flu and in my case, that always results in pneumonia. Bleh. The weather is yucky, the selection of fresh local produce (or lack thereof) is disappointing, and while December has Christmas and February has Valentine’s Day, January is kind of a boring letdown. Instead of getting down though, I’m being proactive about it. And, I thought I’d share my practical tips to look and feel better this winter (and all year long) with you too!
10 Practical Tips to Look and Feel Better:
1. Healthy homemade lunches: Making lunch for your family can feel like a huge chore, but buying lunch regularly is expensive and often leads to unhealthy choices. Preparing simple and delicious meals ahead of time is easier than you think. Doing small tasks to prep, such as cutting up vegetables on the weekend, cooking up an extra roast chicken so you have leftover meat to use, and preparing rice or quinoa will make the process quick and ensure healthy choices are made during the week. Getting your family involved can also make prepping food more fun and helps your children understand the importance of making healthy decisions. Most kids like having choices!
2. Keep your hair healthy: Washing your hair too frequently can strip out natural oils and cause split ends. I only wash my hair every second or third day to maintain healthy and natural looking locks. In between, I use a leave-in spray conditioner and Batiste™ Dry Shampoo Original between washes will help to eliminate excess oil and grease, leaving hair looking clean and fresh with added body and texture. No water required!
3. Drink water: After a month of indulging during the holidays, start the year off right by challenging your family to drink more water. Try switching your evening pop, or morning fruit juice, for a large glass of water. This may be difficult for the first few days, but after a week you will feel rejuvenated and have healthier hair and skin. I set an alarm on my phone to remind myself to sneak in some extra glasses of water throughout the day.
4. Unplug and recharge: Getting a good night sleep is always difficult. There are always new emails to be answered and a list of chores to do; however, it is important to understand the need for a good night’s sleep. Sleep can boost productivity, improve your memory and help maintain a healthy weight. This year, turn off the television, computers and smart-phones one hour earlier. Believe it or not, those shining screens can fool your brain into thinking it’s still daylight and prevent it from being ready to sleep. If you are having trouble falling asleep, try Vitafusion™ SleepWell. Each SleepWell gummy is made with 2.5 g of Melatonin, a hormone that helps increase total sleep time.
5. Moisturize. And then moisturize again: Make it part of your daily routine to moisturize your skin. It’s an easy thing to overlook but take it from me, it can make a big difference to your skin and to your mood. Slather on the lotion after your bath or shower – slather it on slowly, taking the time to massage it into your skin. I also find it a soothing way to release tension at the end of the day and start settling down for bed.
6. Exfoliate: Does your skin get unbearably dry and flaky like mine, especially in winter? Old skin cells can build up on your skin and make it look dull. If you’re prone to oily skin, it can clog your pores and cause blemishes. Gently scrubbing away those dead cells can make your skin look fresh and glowing. Salt or sugar scrubs are easily made at home and quite effective. I even use a gentle sugar scrub on my lips once a week to help counteract the effects of the chilly winter wind outside and dry heated air inside.
7. Thank your skin this winter: Just because it’s the middle of winter doesn’t mean you should give up on your sense of summer. Easy, fast and ready-to-use, new Nair™ Wax Ready-Strips will give you that summer feeling even when there’s snow on the ground. Put on a movie and get to waxing – ready-to-use, no warming or rubbing required** and beyond! Your skin will thank you for the silky smooth update.
8. Keep your smile fresh and white: Everyone feels more confident with whiter and brighter teeth. A true multi-tasking beauty product, Arm & Hammer™ Truly Radiant™ Clean & Fresh Toothpaste will help you achieve a radiant smile in just 5 days!* You can also take deep cleaning to a new level with the Arm & Hammer™ Truly Radiant™ Clean & Fresh Battery-Powered Toothbrush for 100% more plaque removal versus a manual toothbrush, whitening and the ultimate freshening experience!
9. Give your body a boost with a healthy beverage: Keep your immune system protected and your body energized by drinking hot lemon water in the morning for a calming start to your day. Consider a healthy smoothie with extra fruits and veggies for a lunch-time boost! This is a great way to still get in your nutrients even when the fresh produce selection is slim in the winter – simply use frozen fruits and veggies in your smoothie. I like to add some yogurt to mine for added protein. Freeze it in ice cube trays and pop a cube or two into each smoothie.
10. Sit & soak: Take some time for yourself and de-stress! Focus on relaxing with a candle-lit bubble bath. Add your favourite essential oil to your bath water and play calm, inspiring music in the background to help you enter a total state of Zen.
It’s simple enough to work some of these into your every day life – set an alarm on your phone for every couple hours to remind you to drink some water, for example. And be sure to carve out some time for yourself to indulge and pamper. It’s good for the body and the spirit!