You know, I used to be all about the holiday hubbub. I wanted to do it ALL. I wanted to make the holidays as special as possible for all of my family and friends. The problem was that the more I tried to do for all of them, the less time I had to actually spend WITH them. And come on, aren’t the holidays really all about spending quality time with those we love? Of course, everyone’s schedules are so full already that sometimes it can be frustrating to try to come up with a date that works for everyone.
This year, I would love to cut back on the craziness and surprise my family and friends by switching things up and hosting a fabulous holiday brunch instead of the traditional turkey dinner. AND, I’d like to have it during that little lull between Christmas and New Year’s – a time when many people often have a bit of breathing space on their calendars. Not only that, but it’s that post-Christmas time that can sometimes have a bit of a feeling of letdown for some. So, why not extend the celebration of love?
Just because it’s not officially happening on Christmas doesn’t mean I don’t still want it to be special. For the perfect entertaining space that will leave guests in awe, follow my few simple tips below to elevate your holiday brunch from the expected to the unexpected:
Picture Perfect Holiday Brunch: Entertaining Made Easy with a Few Simple Tips
Establish a colour scheme
The secret to fabulous décor is to keep the colour palette simple and focus on two complementary colours. On trend for this holiday season is pairing opposite colours together. Once the basic palette is set, add in a third accent colour, such as silver or gold. This will help complete the look and bring it to life.
An easy way to get started is by opting for slight variations on the uber traditional red and green. Some colour pairings that you can try this year for your holiday brunch include:
• Mint and blush for a feminine and vintage look
• Plum and teal for a sophisticated and elegant feel
• Navy (or turquoise) and red, which gives your typical nautical decor a festive holiday flair
• Green and fuchsia to create something preppy and fun
• Red and grey for a chalet-chic look
Keep these colour schemes in mind when purchasing accent pillow covers, table linens, napkins and runners.
PRO TIP: If you’re hosting multiple parties, you can keep the festive colours looking new and radiant throughout the holiday season by using OxiClean™ Colour Shield Laundry Stain Remover. It helps to fight tough stains (think red wine and gravy) while safeguarding colours.
Set the mood… and table
The dinner table is the focal point of any holiday gathering! To make it more memorable, every tablescape needs the following:
• Flow: Don’t over pack your table with too many decorations. Keep it simple so there’s plenty of elbow room between guests and enough space for dessert on the table!
• Greenery and flowers: No décor is complete without succulents or fresh cut flowers, especially during the holidays. This year, try creating your own unique centrepieces by layering pine branches, Christmas ornaments and fresh flowers overtop a festive table runner.
• Table linens: Take a more casual approach to your brunch table linens this year. Mixing and matching colours and patterns keeps the meal light-hearted and bright. Notice a spill or stain once your guests have gone? Use OxiClean™ Max Force™ Foam Laundry Pre-Treater to help tackle even the greasiest spills and stains left behind.
• Rethink your serving plates: For a casual and natural feeling buffet style brunch, set aside the traditional serving platters and opt for more rustic materials such as slate, wood or marble. You can also try mixing vintage dishes with new items for classic yet modern feel.
• PRO TIP: To make cleaning up even easier, start with a clean dishwasher when your guests arrive and load it throughout the meal. Using OxiClean™ Extreme Power Crystals™ Dishwasher Detergent and Triple Action Dishwasher Booster is also a must during the holidays as it removes tough, stuck on stains and keeps your precious dishes looking sparkling.
Opt For Some Fun in Your Menu
There are so many great ideas out there! What could be more fun than these creative ideas for pancakes and egg in a hole toast? Make them yourself for your guests or provide them with the base and let them choose from a variety of ingredients to embellish their own characters. You could even do mini frittatas (see an idea for a frittata station here), a DIY waffle topping bar, make your own yogurt and fruit parfait station, a bagel bar – you could even include some jars of overnight oats that your guests could warm up in the microwave as they please.
I’ve got a few yummy recipes you might want to consider:
Think beyond the tree
During the holiday season, people often focus on the tree and forget about the rest of their house. Try placing small wreaths or pretty bowls filled with ornaments in different rooms. Using strings of lights indoors is also a fun way to decorate. You can also bundle up small white lights and place them in glass jars to add a little sparkle to any room. I like to add festive guest towels to the bathroom (check out your local dollar store), gingerbread people hanging in the kitchen windows, and wreaths hanging from every door.
To help you get ready for your holiday entertaining we have put together a fun giveaway, including:
· OxiClean™ MaxForce™ Foam Laundry Pre-Treater – To help blast away even the greasiest of stains with its foaming action.
· Arm & Hammer™ Truly Radiant™ Clean & Fresh Toothpaste and Spinbrush Battery Toothbrush – To ensure your smile is bright and white for any holiday parties! (I always give these away as stocking stuffers – it’s a tradition!)
· OxiClean™ Extreme Power Crystals 26 PAK (468 g) Pouch – To remove stuck on stains and help your dishes sparkle!
· OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover – To to get rid of tough stains and ensure your home is ready for guests!
Terms and conditions: Giveaway is open to residents of Canada excluding Quebec. Giveaway ends on Dec. 21, 2016 at 11:59 pm Eastern time. Prize is the product gift pack as outlined above. Winner will be contacted by email and must claim their prize within 48 hours or another winner will be selected. Winner must answer a skill testing question to claim prize. Void where prohibited. Prize will be awarded by Veritas Communications on behalf of Church & Dwight. Enter via Giveaway Tools below.